ProStaff Member: Jason Shipman
Occupation: Certified Wildlife Biologist - Private Consultant
Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Biology from Texas State University, Fall 1997
Minor in Geography (Natural Resource Use & Planning – GIS)
Hunting/Game Management/Ranch Management Experience:
I am a certified wildlife biologist and have worked in the Cotulla area of South Texas since 1997 as a wildlife consultant and outfitter. I have worked closely with a number of ranches implementing programs revolving around habitat management and harvest strategy to produce trophy whitetail deer. Through hard work and careful management, these programs have been very successful, creating wonderful hunting opportunities and many lasting memories along the way.
- Member of TTHA (Texas Trophy Hunters Association)
- Member of TWA (Texas Wildlife Association)
- Member of The Wildlife Society (National)
- Member of the Texas Chapter & Southwest Sections of The Wildlife Society
- Official Measurer and Member of the Boone & Crockett Club
- Past President of the Texas State University student chapter of The Wildlife Society
- Awarded the Ward Lee Eggleston Scholarship for Academic Achievement in Wildlife
Television or Print Media Experiences or Appearances:
- Filmed and appeared in Trophy Hunters TV Shows
- Authored numerous articles for The Journal of the Texas Trophy Hunters magazine
- Filmed for Briarlakes Productions
What was it that got you into hunting?
I grew up hunting with my dad. He has certainly been a major influence in my life. I credit him for giving me a great foundation and instilling in me a respect and passion for the outdoors and wildlife. I have many fond memories of experiences throughout my life spent hunting with him. Much of my youth was also spent learning about wildlife management techniques at my uncle’s high fenced ranch in Guadalupe County. These early experiences ultimately led me to choose Wildlife Management as my field and profession.
Family Information: Married this past year. My lovely wife Meagan is a Registered Nurse and we reside in Cibolo.
Preferred Game Animal: Whitetail Deer but also enjoys hunting mule deer and elk.
Preferred Weapon Type: Rifle and bow
Thoughts to Share:
TTHA is great organization and I am proud to have the opportunity to contribute by being a part of the TTHA Field Pro Staff Team.